Wednesday, June 3, 2009

To Be Aspie or NT?

If you had the choice to become an Aspie or to remain an NT (NeuroTypical) for the rest of your life, which would you prefer? Would you sacrifice adequate social skills and the ability to gain friends with ease in return for higher intelligence and more logical thinking or would you keep everything as it is? Would you give up the chance to be the popular kid in school to be the outsider or would you want to be normal? After hearing what Asperger's is about--and not in a too detailed of way--and getting a small taste of what it is and how it would affect you, do you think that you would try it out if you had the one chance of experiencing it for yourself? You should ask yourself if you'd want this.

We all long for someone who could relate to us in some way; a single person or a group of people who somewhat share the same interests and struggles to which we can talk to when we need them. Well, if you haven't noticed, there are a lot of support groups for people with both AS/autism and a number of disabilities, so there's always someone who's like you. This raises a question: would you rather be all alone or would you want a buddy who you can talk to about problems in the same area as you?

If you're willing to make a decision, please write it in a comment to this post; I will eventually make a list/poll of those who want to become a smarter person in exchange of popularity, depending on how many votes/comments I receive. But, please, don't be so quick to bias your decision. The best thing to do is think it over and weigh out the benefits/consequences of being an Aspie or remaining NT. The choice is yours. I hope to see you make the right decision.

Thank you. May your decision be the right one. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, it's my social problems that make me so dreadfully lonely. My social problems and my father - who always had me working all night instead of potentially hanging out with friends. Not that I really had any to hang out with anyways.... I choose to be normal. At least then, maybe someone would love me for more than a couple months.

    ReplyDelete